9.18.2011

Quick DIY Fall Wreath

In an effort to decorate our house for fall, I decided to make a leafy wreath to hang someplace...  On our front door, perhaps?  I still have to get a door hanger if I decide to hang it there for good.  There was a hole big enough for a screw to hang it on long enough for me to take quick picture.  

Picture taken with my iPhone.  Please excuse the crappy quality.



Here is a step-by-step of how I created the wreath in under 30 minutes.

First of all, I started with an old leafy garland that I had laying around the house.  I've never really LOVED the way it laid, so I decided why not make something else out of it.  Everything I used to make this project I already had, but I know it wasn't very expensive. 

Supplies Needed
-leafy garland or other leafy material
-12" wreath (I used a a straw wreath, still in packaging, but I'm sure a styrofoam one would work just fine)
-hot glue gun and glue
-scissors or wire cutters

Leafy Garland
I cut off the leaves with scissors, since they aren't attached through a wire.  If your leaves are attached through wire, be sure to use wire cutters instead of scissors.  It's nearly impossible to detach them otherwise.

Leaves already cut out and bare wreath

I attached the loose leaves to the wreath with a hot glue gun.  I started attaching them by putting the largest on the bottom layer and staggering them around.  I had them all facing outward til I realized it needed to have some leaves facing inward as well.  So I basically had them going each and every direction. 






All the leaves attached

I actually only used about half of the leaves that I had from the garland, so you may end up seeing some leaves in another project around the house soon. :)  Betcha can't wait, can you? :)

The wreath up close... and yes that is my dog behind it.  I couldn't resist :)

What do ya'll think?  Have you made any DIY fall projects?  I'd love to hear from you about what you've done or if you have any simple decorating ideas for fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment