1.29.2013

Homemade Tahnini

As I mentioned in my last post, I decided to make my own tahini (an essential ingredient for hummus), rather than buying it.  Just like with hummus, it costs a ton more to buy it... so I made my own.   

I'm sure many of you are wondering, what is tahini??  I thought the same thing prior to making hummus.  It sounds so exotic, right?   

Ready for this?   


You're gonna laugh at how simple it is...... 


It's..... 


Sesame seeds and olive oil. 


Yep, that's all. 


Again, a super easy recipe, and it smells AMAZING -- can't beat that, right? 

This recipe yields about 2 cups, but you only need 6 tablespoons for the hummus recipe

Tahini Recipe 
Ingredients 
2 cups sesame seeds 
1/3 cup olive oil 

Directions 
First, toast the sesame seeds --- heat a saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add the sesame seeds and toast lightly -- about 2 minutes, shaking the pan so they toast evenly.  Watch out, sesame seeds can burn very easily.  Once they start slightly turning brown, they're done. They'll go from toasted to burnt very quickly.  Transfer to a bowl and let the seeds cool completely. 

Next, process the sesame seeds in a food processor and slowly drizzle in the olive oil.  Pulse for 3-5 minutes, or until as smooth as possible.  Add additional olive oil as necessary.  Remove from processor and store in refrigerator (or add to the hummus recipe, then store in the fridge ;))   

Source: adapted from Cupcake Project

No comments:

Post a Comment