1.28.2013

Homemade Roasted Garlic Hummus for less than $3... Mmm, Mmm!

Roasted Garlic Hummus and Pita Chips... Yum!

I've been wanting to make some homemade hummus for quite awhile, but haven't found a recipe that I really liked... until now.

There are many reasons I decided to make it homemade.
  • Price
  • Preservatives
  • Knowing the ingredients
  • Convenience
When I decided to make Hummus, a lot of my reasoning was based on price.  The Sabra brand that I typically buy, will cost a few dollars and is only about 7 or 10 ounces (I can't remember).  So my husband and I started buying it in bulk at our local Sam's Club and we could get the large (25 ounces) for $5.98  The problem with the large container is that we both go through spurts with hummus and don't consistently eat a large amount.  And, I'm not sure if you're like me, but if it sits in the fridge too long, it starts to taste different and I'm not a fan.  So we'd end up throwing it out and wasting the food and money.  

To make it from scratch it was minimal compared to buying in the store -- more on that later, and I know exactly what's in it, and that means NO PRESERVATIVES or added unhealthy crap, as we all know the side effects of those.

I typically just like plain or garlic hummus, though I've tried a black bean hummus that was really good, too.  The thing I really liked about this recipe, was that it's super simple to make and used few ingredients.  It didn't take long to prep, but the garlic cloves do have to bake in the oven for an hour prior to adding to the recipe.  As much as I like garlic... or should I say love?  This recipe seemed to have quite the bite to it due to the amount of garlic added.  Next time I may try to tweak it a bit by adding less cooked garlic, or just using all fresh, not cooked, chopped up cloves.  We'll see.  

Have you made hummus before?  If so, what did you like and dislike about it?  

Total cost of all ingredients $2.58
Roasted Garlic Hummmus
Ingredients:
2 heads garlic, intact
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup water
6 tbsp. tahini (check out my homemade recipe)
1 (14 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp. salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper (very, very small pinch)
1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Remove the papery outer skins of the garlic heads, leaving them otherwise intact.  Chop off the top quarter of the head so that all of the cloves are exposed.  Wrap the garlic in foil and bake until very tender.  This will take about an hour.  Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the sliced garlic cloves and saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.  Transfer the garlic to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving the cooking oil for later.  Set aside.  Once the roasted garlic from the oven is cool enough to handle, squeeze the cloves from their skins.  This should give you about 1/4 cup.

In a small prep bowl, combine the lemon juice and water.  In another bowl, whisk together the reserved garlic cooking oil and the tahini (I couldn't find any, so I made my own.  More on that to come -- check it out here).  

In the bowl of a food processor, process the chickpeas, the roasted garlic puree, the remaining clove of garlic, salt and cayenne until the mixture is finely ground.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl to get off any access.  With the machine running, add the lemon juice-water mixture through the feed tube in a steady stream.  Scrape down the bowl and process for an additional minute.  With the machine running, add the oil-tahini mixture through the feed tube in a steady stream.  Scrape down the bowl and continue to process until the hummus is smooth and creamy.  Transfer to a serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil, top with toasted garlic slices and minced fresh parsley, if desired.

Source: adapted from Annie's Eats/Pinterest

Cost Breakdown
Can of chickpeas -  $0.89
Bottle of Olive Oil - $0.15
2 heads of garlic  - $0.81
Lemon - $0.49
Tahini (homemade) - $0.24
Cayenne Pepper - already had on hand, but I believe it's about $3 at Trader Joe's
Water FREE
Salt - already had on hand
TOTAL $2.58 for 4 cups (32 oz) of hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment