1.17.2013

Homemade Dog Bones

I've been seeing a ton of homemade dog biscuits and treats on Pinterest, and thought I'd give one a try.  Jake  tends to have a sensitive stomach, so I'm always really careful of the types of food and treats that I buy him.  I'm always checking the ingredients to make sure it's healthy, especially his dog food.

When I came across this recipe on Pinterest with only FOUR ingredients, I knew I had to try it, since most dogs LOVE peanut butter.



Peanut Butter Dog Bones

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flower
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup low-fat milk

Preheat over to 375.  Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl.  Mix peanut butter and milk in another bowl.  Add wet and dry mixtures together.  Mix well. --- On a side note:  I used powdered peanut butter as it is healthier and has less calories than regular peanut butter.  I prepared it the same as always, with water, prior to combining with the milk.  I also don't buy dairy milk, so instead used almond milk.  I frequently bake with it and haven't had any issues yet. 


Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and knead.  Roll out to approximately 1/4 inch thickness and cut out with your favorite cookie cutter.  Place on a greased or non-stick baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown.  Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.


Yield 35 biscuits, but of course this depends on the size of the cookie cutter.  I had enough to fill almost 3 baking pans.

Jake LOVES them... if you can't tell, he's pretty excited :)




No comments:

Post a Comment