1.23.2014

Homemade Ketchup and BBQ -- FAIL!

For a long time, I’ve been meaning to make some homemade ketchup and BBQ sauce, to save money and make something without high fructose corn syrup or preservatives in it.  I hadn’t done it simply from lack of time.  However, over my Christmas vacation I had a couple of days of free time, so I finally took the opportunity to make both.  And let me tell you…….. it was a complete FAIL!  I followed the directions exactly as they had it listed, and they both taste HORRIBLE.  Blech!!  I tried adding some extra agave to try to sweeten it up, hoping that would cut out on the bitter/vinegar taste, but it didn’t work.  Maybe letting it sit for longer will help it meld together better?  I just don’t know.  

Does anyone have any suggestions, secrets or other recipes that have been tasty??

Below are the recipes I got from Pinterest to make them.....

Ketchup                                                     BBQ


KETCHUP
Ingredients:
6 oz tomato paste
2/3 c apple cider vinegar
1/3 c water
2 tbsp preferred sugar substitute - optional (I used agave)
2 tbsp onions
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp pepper

Directions:
Combine ingredients in food processor and blend until the onion disappears.  Spoon mixture into airtight container and store in fridge.


GLUTEN FREE, CLEAN EATING BBQ
Ingredients:
15 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz can tomato paste
1 tsp. tamari soy sauce
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
4 tbsp unsulfured molasses
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Directions:
Combine all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and mix well using a whisk, or toss eveyrthing in a blender/Vitamix and blend that way.  Store in an airtight container and store in fridge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment