6.23.2013

Homemade Almond Butter


Typically, I don't eat much meat, so I'm always looking for other food options that contain a lot of protein.  I really like peanut butter, but it gets old eating it nearly every day on apples, bananas and other foods.  So I decided to try almond butter.  I looked around at a few different stores, but the cheapest one I found was $5 or $6.  So... per typical cheapo mentality, I decided to make it myself at home.  According to my Vitamix recipe for peanut butter, you just add a couple cups of peanuts and grind... and grind.... then grind some more.  After 15 minutes, if it's still not creamy enough, you can add a little bit of olive oil to help it get creamier.  

I decided to try making almond butter with the Vitamix peanut butter recipe.....which as I said, is as simple as a couple cups of nuts and mix, mix, mix... then add a bit of olive oil to help it be extra creamy (but you don't have to).

Once done mixing, just spoon it into a container and stick in the fridge to cool off.

Of course nothing goes better than nut butter and apple, especially knowing that the only ingredients in it are nuts and a bit of olive oil.  Nothing else.  No preservatives.

Mmmm yum!!!

Have you tried making any kind of nut butters?  If so, what kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment