1.24.2012

We Paid Cash!!!

I always hear about how paying cash for goods can feel so freeing.  And truly, we don't carry cash, so I never really thought it was something we would do.  It's not that we use credit cards for everything.  We actually hardly use them.  We tend to pay with debit cards.  Which is still a card, and the realization of how much money is spent doesn't quite sink in, the way it does when you're writing a check out or handing over each bill for payment.



Before Christmas, my husband and I realized truly how bad of shape our bed was in.  The sagging was something we could no longer avoid... or try to fix with extra "egg crate" padding.  It was quite obvious that neither of us were sleeping at night, and we were both exhausted.

So we decided to throw in the towel and purchase a new bed!!!  Whooohoo!!

We started our search almost immediately and looked at nearly all the retailers in town.  We finally found a bed that we loved.  It's a plush top (oh yessss!) mattress, that's flippable, which most aren't anymore.  Being a flippable mattress we should get more time out of the mattress, since not only can we rotate end over end, we can flip.  Any place I can save a little bit of money, or buy some time, I love!

Anyways.... back to the point of this post..... CASH!

WE..... PAID..... CASH!!!!

We saved every spare cent we had for over a month.  Then, asked for ONLY money for Christmas.  Once we had enough money, the hubbs went to the store, and purchased it right out of pocket.  No credit card.  No interest rates.  No borrowed money.  I just have to say.... it's LIBERATING!!  We own our bed outright!  And we don't even miss the extra "stuff" we didn't get this year for Christmas..... probably because we're enjoying our bed so much, and enjoying all the ZzZzZ's!

Needless to say.... I was so worried that we'd have such a tight budget while trying to save that we'd feel strapped and like we were missing out on activities going on around us.  However, it was actually the opposite.  I was excited to be saving for something.  Happy to be paying for something out of pocket, instead of using a credit card for such a big purchase.

I definitely recommend saving money for a purchase, instead of slapping it on a credit card.  Start small with your next clothes purchase, then build up to bigger things, such as furniture, then even a car!  My goal is to pay cash for my next car!  I can only imagine how liberating I will feel after that kind of purchase!!

My question to you..... what will your next cash purchase be??

No comments:

Post a Comment