3.31.2013

Makeover Stand Mixer

A few years ago when my grandmother passed I was handed down her 70's era Sunbeam stand mixer.  I've had it in a box in storage forever because we haven't had the counter space and, quite frankly, the color is just so un-appealing.  So what does that mean?  I decided to do a bit of research on painting an appliance, and wa-lah a much prettier (and PINK) mixer.  See pictures below.

Creamy BEFORE Picture
My original inspiration was the BRIGHT pink (aka Raspberry Ice) KitchenAid Mixer.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this mixer and wouldn't mind owning one some day, but right now this has to do, since I can't justify spending the money on it, especially when I have one that works perfectly fine.


The Process
DURING
Before I started painted, I taped up the silver knobs and pieces, and also stuck tape in the vent holes to be sure it didn't damage the fan or power parts.  Then, I did a light sanding on the mixer to help the primer and paint stick, then followed it by a coat of spray primer.  Once that dried, I did two layers of the pink paint, then finally covered with a clear coat to help it withstand everyday messes in the kitchen.  Since I was busy, I let it go a day or 5 in between coats, so it had PLENTY of time to dry.  Though the paint can said it only needed 30 minutes to dry between coats.  

Finished Product
As you can see it's not quite the same color, but I didn't have many colors to choose from.  Also, since I did only pink and a little bit of white, I may add a decal to it to give it a little "something," ya know?
Pretty in Pink!
Up close and personal.  Isn't it pretty?

Products used: 



No comments:

Post a Comment