10.24.2011

Natural Dog Food

Healthy Food = Healthy, Happy Dog :)
Myrtle Beach, SC

As I've mentioned before, I try to eat healthier options and stay away from processed food as much as I can.  In addition to having healthy options for me, I've always purchased natural food for my dog.  There are many great natural dog foods out there.  We feed our dog, Nutro.  When we got Jake a few years ago, we went to the Petsmart down the road from us and they explained the differences between the different dog foods.  That's when we settled on Nutro.

The biggest thing when choosing a dog food is to be sure the first ingredients listed are whole foods, rather than by-products.  i.e. Chicken, Bison, etc

www.nutro.com
We chose Nutro because Jake seemed to like it the best.  Plus, he has a sensitive stomach and cannot tolerate some of the other foods.  Nutro also is about $45 for a 3 month supply, where the "unnatural" brands are only about $18, but I figure $45 is still not that much over a 3 month time frame.

www.bluebuffalo.com
My other top holistic dog food would be Blue.  We tried giving it to Jake, but his stomach didn't tolerate it.  The food has a ton of fresh ingredients, including blueberries.  Jake LOVED the taste of it!!  Sometimes we try and get Blue or other natural dog foods to give him a change in his diet.  We just give him a little less of the Nutro, and add a little bit of the other food.  It usually works out well and keeps him satisfied.  

I've also heard of people making their own dog food at home.  Of course this would be the best option if you want to be sure there are no preservatives or additives in it.  However, this could get costly and be time-consuming.

I've never personally made homemade dog food, but here is a recipe I found on one of my favorite organic websites, Organic Authority.  As the website states,"Roughly, you’ll want 1/3 of proteins to 2/3 of vegetables and carbs. "

     1/3 Organic Skinless Chicken Breast
     1/3 Organic Brown Rice
     1/3 Organic Green Beans


Do you give your dog natural food, make homemade food, or go the traditional food route??

No comments:

Post a Comment